Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Where Were You on 9/11/2001?

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

I was working that day.  "Work" meant working as an Executive Assistant at Paramount Pictures in Hollywood, 2nd floor of the Schulberg Building, in the Feature Production department.  We were sitting around drinking coffee, talking, taking calls and starting our day of production details; I recall it being rather slow.  The VP across the hallway, Mark Bakshi, urgently called us all into his office - we crowded in around his television to watch the details unfold.  Since many folks in production have worked both coasts and are familiar or from New York, the room was filled with horror, fear and quiet panic.  Eventually, we got the call that the Studio was being evacuated.  The Studio feared that it might also be a target, as Paramount is the only actual movie studio *IN* Hollywood.  The fear was that since the financial center of the US had been targeted, maybe the entertainment center would also be hit.  And so, we were all sent home.

While I didn't lose any friends that day, I did know a producer on Frasier who died in the second plane to hit the tower, and a gay couple and their toddler son who were on the first plane.  I've never been to New York, but I would like to someday.  I would like to pay my respects.  



And on a more cheerful note, happy birthday to Roxann Dawson, who played B'Elanna Torres on Star Trek: Voyager!  Hope your day is great! Roxann is now working as an actress, producer and successful director - check out her info on the imdb - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206259/?ref_=sr_1.  I never really got to know Roxann, I think I actually only spoke to her a handful of times, but of all the folks who worked on Voyager, I think she's probably proven to be one of the most interesting and talented of the group in the long run.



No comments:

Post a Comment