Monday, September 23, 2013

The Phoenix Named Shatner

I have had the pleasure of listening to Mr. Shatner speak at several different Star Trek conventions, back in the day when I attended such things on occasion.  I haven’t been to a convention now in ten years, though I am planning on attending the Creation Entertainment Burbank convention in February 2014.  I am sorry to say that I have not heard him speak in a very long time.. . then again, it’s really not all that hard to find him, is it? 

 The man is everywhere.  Priceline commercials (the “Breakout” one cracks me up in particular).  Star Trek, and Star Trek and yet more Star Trek, of course.  Boston LegalRescue 911T. J. Hooker.  Voice work.  Narration.  Countless acting parts and series.  He’s won a Golden Globe, 12 other awards, been nominated for 32 (!) other awards, including 6 Emmy Awards.   Over 50 years of work in film and television.  His imdb resume is unbelievable.  I can’t wait to own a copy of “The Captains”, a 2011 documentary he directed and starred in where he talks with the other five "Trek" captains.  He is a published author – with around 37 titles to his name.  Everyone knows who William Shatner is.  A phoenix who rises again and again.  A man with a wonderful sense of humor about it all.  He is 82 years old (unbelievable) and totally rocks Twitter.  And he has HORSES.  Beautiful horses.  When I was a nanny my first year in Los Angeles, I took my boys to see Mr. Shatner’s Hollywood Charity Horse Show at the Burbank Equestrian Center.  Beautiful  horses.

I should apologize to him, though.  Once upon a time we sent a call we got in the Deep Space Nine production office over to the offices of Rescue 911 because the nut on the other end of the phone wanted to speak to Captain Kirk and ONLY Captain Kirk.  I have always felt bad about that.  Sorry!  My bad.



My favorite Shatner quote: “Oh, for God's sake... get a life, will you?”

Just kidding!  Maybe.

For real:  “But if you want to know the truth, the weirdest thing that has happened has been my discovery that people who attend the conventions are filled with love.”  (http://www.doorly.com/writing/william_shatner.htm )  [KV note: I love the juxtaposition of those two quotes!]  A wise observation, that.

Chris Pine, ironically, may have said it best:  "Bill's head space is, 'Enjoy every interaction, suck the juice out of each experience, and grab life by the balls.' We can all learn from that." (Men’s Health, May - June 2013).  I can't top that. 

Except maybe to say… somewhere along the way, before you die, make sure that you can say “I got a life.”

Links you may like:  http://williamshatner.com/ws/
http://www.horseshow.org/  The Hollywood Charity Horse Show

2 comments: