Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Mysterious Zoe Saldana

I am having difficulties reading Zoe Saldana.  The interviews I have read just are not “meaty” enough to satisfy me.  Who is this talented actress who starred in the highest grossing film of all time (Avatar)?  Who is the new Uhura?  Hopefully someday she will have the good fortune to run into an interviewer who can actually interview and we will find out.  In the meantime, we will have to survive on bits and pieces of real information and hints of depth.  

What’s most immediately obvious is the obvious – she is seriously beautiful.  Duh.  Allure Magazine let the world know that she weighs 115 lbs. (as if that’s the most interesting and important thing anyone could possibly want to know about someone).  Thanks so much for putting that on the cover of your magazine, Allure, I don’t know how I would have managed to sit through my lunch break in the staff room without reading about it!  But who is she?  What are her dreams?  How does she feel about starring in Avatar or Star Trek?  What are her career goals?  What’s up next on her agenda? I have read numerous interviews and its still all rather a mystery to me.


There was one article I liked where her Star Trek co-star Zachary Quinto interviewed her.  Zach is so very eloquent, he is a joy to read or listen to in nearly any context.  Unfortunately, the interview was about the world of fashion, which they are both interested in but I am not.  I have to put faith in the fact that if Zach has glowing things to say about her – and he does – we may find out eventually, also.  We can hope.

Zoe grew up in Queens, NY, and in the Dominican Republic.  She moved to New York City at 17 years old to study acting, and her careers – acting and modeling - just took off into the stratosphere from there.  I admit that I have not seen many of her movies, although along with the entire world, I was impressed with her acting in Avatar and Star Trek

I do like the one quote I have found that was not relate to weight, being beautiful or making movies, though it was about age.  “I’m very accepting with my age.  It’s like notches on your belt: experience, wisdom and a different kind of beauty.  There comes a day when you’ve become comfortable in your skin”.  Being comfortable in your own skin is a good thing, it’s true.  The evil side of me, however would like to say - “darlin’, when you turn 40, then we’ll talk.”  You are still a baby at 30. J  However, I have no doubt that Zoe Saldana will still be relevant, beautiful and making movies at 40, and 50 and 70 years old.  If we are lucky!


No comments:

Post a Comment