Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Regarding Suicide

A friend's son attempted suicide two days ago.  I feel so sad for both of them - for my friend who is heartbroken and scared, and for her son, a good person who cannot see his own worth.  Having been there myself many moons ago as a teen, I empathize with the hapless, helpless and hopeless feelings.  It's horrible feeling trapped and thinking nothing will change, that the pain will remain or can only get worse.  As the mother of a son with mental health disorders, I hope I am never in my friends' shoes.



If you, any of my readers, are considering suicide as an option, please... stay.  Suicide is not a great solution - the pain you cause your loved ones is heart wrenching and I think there must be consequences of some sort on the Other Side.  There is always a solution to your problem that doesn't involve killing yourself.  Just because you haven't thought of it yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  If you know someone who is depressed, ask them about it.  You won't give them "ideas" - you will give them hope.  If you know someone with some of the risk factors above, call for advice.  If you want to end it all, reach out for help since you have 'nothing to lose', because on the other hand, you do have everything to gain.  If you are in despair, if you are trapped by abuse, domestic violence, alcoholism or drug abuse, being closeted, being bullied - please make one more effort.

If you need encouragement to make that call, email me at intrepid.infj@yahoo.com (but I check it only every few days).  If you can't find someone local who will listen and refer you to trained people who can help, then call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-237-TALK (8255).  Please... stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment