Friday, October 4, 2013

I Love Paramount, but...

I love Paramount Pictures.  I worked there for nearly ten years.  I still dream about the Studio.  I am sure I could walk around it blindfolded and find my way around without any problems.  It was a great place to work.  Some of the best years of my life.

However, today, I am annoyed with the Studio for two reasons.

First -the trailer is out for the movie "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit".  They released it the day after the author of the Jack Ryan books, Tom Clancy, DIED.  Really, Paramount?  You couldn't have released it a day sooner?  Did Clancy even get to see it?  It reeks of capitalizing on his death.  I find that inappropriate and tacky.

Second - the poster.  Gorgeous.  Provocative. Nice title,  the font is adequate - and it lists the writers (um, who cares?) and director (yeah for Kenneth Branagh!).  But.... where the hell is Chris Pine's name?  You go through all the trouble to hire this fantastic, hot actor and you don't put his NAME on the damn movie poster.  Hello at the Studio, "The Sum of All Fears" came out in 2002 (while I worked in the feature production department).  In movie language, that was a hundred freakin' years ago.  No one under 25 years old is going to know or care who 'Jack Ryan' is.  What's selling this movie is the actor CHRIS PINE.  You hire a name, you USE it.  Heads should roll.

Two stupid mistakes with this movie, their winter blockbuster and (another) reboot franchise possibility.  I hope to hell it has the content, because their promotion so far sucks (not to mention that the trailer crashes my computer EVERY.  SINGLE.  TIME.  Okay, I did mention it.  I watched the 2 1/2 minute trailer three times, though it took 15 minutes to do so!).

I love you, Paramount, I really do.  Especially if you continue to make big movies with one of my favorite actors.  But... step up your game, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment